Unless you’re new on the cannabis block, you’re likely no stranger to the acronym CBD. The abbreviated form of cannabidiol, CBD is the non-psychotropic part of the cannabis plant. Although it represents just one small component of the 100+ chemical compounds found in marijuana, it’s demonstrating monstrous growth. The hemp-CBD market is predicted to reach $22B by 2022.
Dispensaries and e-commerce stores alike are lining up with more types of CBD-infused products than one can imagine – ranging from traditional forms like flower, tinctures, salves and wax to more trendy options like pet treats, infused-water, coffee and ice cream.
It seems everyone and their mothers are touting CBD-oil as a miracle cure-all. And while it’s not likely to endow you with any superhuman abilities, it’s becoming a prime choice for patients who want to benefit from the healing properties of cannabis without altering their mental state. Bethany Gomez, Director of Research for the Brightfield Group sums it up well when she says,
“[Cannabis is] everything people believe to be good about marijuana, without the downside of getting stoned.”
According to the Brightfield Group and Hello MD’s CBD Report, more than half of medical marijuana patients choose CBD-dominant products to treat their conditions. Roughly three-quarters of those patients feel that CBD products are more or much more effective at relieving medical conditions than over-the-counter options, prescription medications or other herbal remedies.
8 Proven Physical Health Benefits of CBD Oil
While CBD oil has been in the limelight for the last year or so, buzz alone is not a compelling enough reason to incorporate a new treatment into your health regimen.
Fortunately, we’re beginning to see clear evidence to validate CBD’s effectiveness at treating a variety of physical health conditions. Patients and researchers alike have documented some exciting results when using cannabidiol for ailments ranging from every day pain to chronic diseases.
- Pain – Pain and inflammation are the most common reasons for cannabis patients to choose CBD products. Numerous studies reveal successful results in using CBD oil to treat arthritis and other chronic pain conditions. Moreso, many patients swear by its effectiveness at relieving more minor ailments like post-workout soreness and sprains. CBD salves, applied topically, are a popular choice when using CBD extracts for pain relief.
- Acne – Because CBD reduces inflammation, we’re learning that it can also be a powerful natural alternative to clear up acne. Patients who have previously been plagued with skin issues are using topical applications like tinctures and sprays to start enjoying clearer, healthier skin.
- Weight Loss – Unlike THC, CBD can suppress the appetite, burns calories, and prevents the build-up of fatty tissue. This means that CBD oil can be a good addition to a complete health and fitness regimen focused on losing weight. If you’re considering CBD for weight loss, you may want to try a capsule formula, or pick up a tincture that you can add to your morning smoothies.
- Diabetes – There are positive indications that CBD can decrease the risk of and control diabetes. This is partially because it promotes weight loss, but studies also show that cannabidiol can reduce insulin levels and improve pancreatic function, among other benefits. Since patients concerned about diabetes will likely want to stay away from cannabis edibles due to their sugar content, diabetes management is a prime circumstance in which patients can include a CBD capsule or tincture into their cannabis regimen.
- Opioid Addiction – As we discussed earlier, more and more patients are choosing cannabis, and specifically CBD, as natural alternatives to prescription medications. This is excellent news, considering the all-too-prominent phenomena of addiction, overdose, and dangerous side effects of many opioid analgesics that many doctors are often irresponsible in prescribing. We believe that safe cannabis should be the first line of defense against chronic pain, before patients or doctors consider opioids for pain management. Even more hopeful is the emerging evidence that CBD may also be a beneficial treatment to aid in recovery from opioid addiction.
- Multiple Sclerosis – Extensive research now shows that CBD oil can reduce the severe muscle spasms (known as spasticity) that torment multiple sclerosis patients, making it easier for those suffering with MS to function in their daily lives. This application has been documented and studied so thoroughly that a prescription-based, pharmaceutical grade CBD product called Sativex has recently been introduced to treat MS.
- Epilepsy – Perhaps the most significant media exposure around the use of cannabis and CBD has been centered on its capability to reduce and control seizures in people with epilepsy, especially younger children. The World Health Organization recently released an extensive report summarizing the last 40 years of trials regarding CBD for epilepsy.
- Cancer – Last, but certainly not least, CBD oil is gaining traction as a secret weapon in the ongoing fight against cancer. Not only has it been known to relieve the harsh side effects of radical cancer treatments like chemotherapy and radiation treatment, it’s also been observed to inhibit the growth and spread of cancer cells, giving new hope to many who previously faced dismal outcomes.
Add CBD Oil to Boost Your Physical Health
While you may find yourself surrounded with hype, as well as contrary opinions by skeptics, there are too many studies and patient testimonials to deny it. CBD oil can be a helpful supplement to include in your life if you’re on a mission to improve your physical health.
Many people also swear by CBD as a treatment for mental ailments like anxiety, depression, insomnia, PTSD and even severe psychosis and schizophrenia. Stay tuned to the Harvest blog in February as we explore the mental health benefits of CBD oil.
Arizona: Healing Resources CBD line
Maryland: Mary’s Medicinals Muscle Freeze CBD topical
Pennsylvania: Cresco CBD Flower
California: Canna Hemp CBD line